Wednesday, August 6, 2008

School Stuff

Yesterday I got up at 5:00 AM to go to the airport to say goodbye to yet another missionary. Crystal Kirk, our treasurer for the last 3 years, headed home to Indiana yesterday. It was a sad day for us all. The Bolivian missionaries can't help but hope she comes back at some point!

That got me off to an early start. When I returned home, I decided to go to school and try to be productive. I packed myself a classic school lunch - ham and cheese sandwich with potato chips -and off I went! ! It's been a long time since I've had that kind of lunch! I have to admit, I DID enjoy it!

My goal yesterday was to get my room mostly set up. Thankfully, I had some people help me track down posters to use. It's a little different decorating an elementary classroom versus a jr. high and high school classroom - especially when the subjects I will be teaching don't lend themselves to much decor! I did use my 6th grade writing posters. Then I went to the high school social studies room and pilfered (is that a word?) posters for my world geography class. Lastly, I got online and began looking for smaller writing posters, found them, printed them off, and decorated them! I have to wait for them to be laminated before putting them up. Once that is done, my classroom will be complete.

Now, Emily Barlow, if you are reading this, YOUR classroom is MY classroom this year! Let me tell you, it no longer resembles your classroom at all! I'm a little nervous about what the kids will say, but they might as well know right away that I AM NOT MISS BARLOW!!! (Although you wouldn't be a bad person to be! :) ) Anyway, I think I will enjoy using your classroom in your absence. (By the way, once Gerson gets back with our camera, I'll try to remember to take pictures of the classroom and post them for all to see!)

Today is a Bolivian holiday --- their Independence Day. So, the school is "officially" closed. Thank the Lord we all have keys to get in! I' m not feeling too festive today and I have way too much to do before Monday to take the day off! I'm going to head in today and work on my parent letters, semester overview, lesson plans, and organizing my files. None of it is terribly difficult, but it is all time-consuming.

Tomorrow begins our orientation meetings. According to our director, we will only be in meetings half the day. Then they will provide lunch for us (that's always nice!), and then we will have the rest of the day for prep time. I hope to just tie up loose ends during the afternoon because I know how it is --- people will wonder in and out of the classroom both Thursday and Friday to catch up! I love those impromptu chats, but it doesn't lend itself to getting anything done! So, if I can advance today, I can enjoy my visiting on Thursday and Friday. Am I a sanguine or what?

Well, folks, that's the news for now. Oh, before I go, let me give you an update on Gerson. He's been emailing me every day just to keep me posted and let me know he's okay. In last night's email, he told me he's been able to witness for the Lord on many different occasions! He shared his testimony with several people on his long bus ride -- they wanted to hear it and he was glad to share! He's also shared his testimony with his soccer professor and his entire family. He was so excited! For him, this is much more than just a trip to learn about soccer. Gerson always takes any and every opportunity to share the hope he has in Christ!

He is also really enjoying his training. He's gone to at least one closed practice in what I believe is a major Argentine league team. He got invited back today. He was thrilled! The coach of that team took time to presonally talk with Gerson and invite him back for the second practice. These practices are closed to the press and in order to attend you have to get a personal invitation from the coach! He's also going to be able to go to one of the major league games! He's having the time of his life.

Thanks for your prayers. We stand amazed at what God is doing in our lives. As Gerson said in his email last night, "God is a BIG God!" He continues to open doors and surprise us with His many blessings. Continue to pray for Gerson as he travels around Argentina and soaks up soccer while at the same time proclaims God's Word to those around him. Also, pray for strength for me as I hit the road running with school starting tomorrow.

I'll continue to keep you posted on any new news!

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Our teacher's days start on Monday and the first day with students is a half day on Thursday.

That all seems really early to me.

Emily Barlow said...

I can't wait to see pictures of your classroom. I think it's great that the kids know from day one that Mrs. Tejeda does not equal Miss Barlow. If you were me, how would they miss me? :) But I can't wait to see pics anyway.
P.S. Would you cut off the hands of any student who vandalizes my beautiful cabinets? :)

Gerson & Betsy said...

Keetha, we start Monday with students, but I hear it's a half day. Then on Friday we have another half day. I hope they explain that one to me tomorrow in our orientation meetings.

Gerson & Betsy said...

Yeah, Emily, the classroom is MUCH different. Didn't you have couch in your room, or was it only the chair? I'm going to enjoy that chair, let me tell you!

About the cabinets, I'll be sure to keep my eyes open. I doubt anyone would have the courage to vandalize your beautiful cabinets!

I hope I get the TV/DVD player in the classoom.It's disappeared. I'm going to go searching for it!!!