Saturday, August 2, 2008

Flying Ants, a Delicacy?

Those aren´t beans. They are ants. Way back when we were dating, I learned the Gerson thinks these are a delicacy. These flying ants, as they were described to me, are ¨in season¨ (sounds like a fruit, doesn´t it?) during a certain time of the year. I guess that´s when they ¨fly through the area¨? Anyway, many Bolivians catch these flying ants, pull off the backside of them (what part of the bug is that, Keetha?), and fry them up! They serve them over rice!

I have to admit I didn´t really relish the thought of eating one of these bugs, but since my husband thinks they are soooo good, I finally gave in and ate ONE. Don´t worry, it was well cooked! I have to say, I´ve never had a craving for these little critters! When in Rome, do as the Romans . . . . .

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

OK - - - NOW I'm throwing up!!!!

The "backside" of the ant, if you mean the third section of its body is called it's abdomen. However, I would think that would be the meatiest part - - - are you sure they pulled ALL that section off?

I can think of A LOT better things to do with my time than pull abdomens off of 100's of ants and then eat them. Oh you know, like GOING TO LACHARREADA!!!!

Gerson & Betsy said...

Jejejejeje! I have to agree with you there! I know. . . it's odd to us. But, Gerson thinks these ants are tasty. You and I -- let's stick to La Char!

Gerson & Betsy said...

Ha!!! Me, neither! However, when working overseas, a person learns to stay open-minded and try new things. I have to say, this one challenged me!! But, I DID IT!

Keri said...

EWWWW!!! You are a better girl than I. hahaha!

Is there anything that we Americans love to eat that grosses Gerson out?