May and June are hard months around here. I´ve begun calling these months ¨The Grand Exodus!¨ Why? It's when many missionaries leave Bolivia for Homeland Ministry Assignment (HMA). This year's goodbyes have been especially hard for me.
Kelly, left on the top picture, has been my prinicpal for 2 years. Not only has she been my principal, but also my neighbor, close friend, and walking partner - when we got around to it! Kelly left at the beginning of June to follow God's direction in her life -- He has called her to continue her studies at Asbury Seminary! If I ever needed someone with whom to laugh, I always went to her. She LOVES to laugh! I'm already missing her laughter and presence next door. However, I know she's going to be a blessing to those at Asbury. Get ready to laugh!
Several of my other friends left as well, although I failed to get pictures with them before they took off. Emily Barlow left for HMA and will be gone for a year. That means when she returns to Bolivia, we will be gone. However, hopefully our time in the States will overlap and we will be able to get together up north. Emily is the high school English teacher the Santa Cruz Christian Learning Center, where I also teach. She was also my neighbor on the other side of the lawn! She even mentioned she MIGHT come to the airport to see us when we land in Indy in February! We're excited about that possibility!
The Phillips family also left for HMA. They will also be gone for year. Betsy Phillips (the OTHER Betsy, as we often teased!) was our elementary school chaplain. She also volunteered in my classroom throughout the school year and helped me do creative educational activities with my students. She has been such a blessing! I've also taught one her kids, Abby, who will be in 8th grade. We already miss the Phillips as well.
So, the goodbyes are bittersweet. We know we'll see each other again, SOMEDAY -- even if it's in Heaven. But, at the same time, we sense their absence as each of these people have had a huge influence in our lives. One of the hard things about being a missionary is the goodbyes we say to our biological family and Stateside friends; however, it remains hard as the missionary community becomes our family and support group, and it is also in constant transition. The airport runs become emotionally draining as we say to goodbye to those we love.
I just praise God for bringing so many wonderful people into my life, for whatever time He allows our paths to cross. I am truly blessed to have such an amazing group friends -- from one side of the globe to another!

No comments:
Post a Comment