Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Little Treasures

My original title for this post was "One Man's Junk . . ." I titled it that due to the topic of garage sales. However, my dear friend, Keetha, pointed out to me that it was horrible to have that title with a pictures of my son right below it. How right she is! Thus, I changed the title to "Little Treasures" -- which certainly describes Jayden ---- to describe the exciting finds that many people do indeed find at garage sales! Thanks, Keetha, for helping me see my errors!

Over Labor Day weekend, we did something I haven't done in years. We went to the Upland all-town garage sale! We bundled Jayden up since it was a little chilly that morning, loaded up his stroller, and prepared for a long day of walking through Upland canvassing garage sales! This is something that I remember from the years when we lived in Upland. Usually, though, my family joined the mania and we held our own garage sale, limiting the amount of time we could be out actually hunting for the bargains! This was fun change for me --- no responsiblilty of getting rid of my own junk and enjoying looking through everyone else's "junk" looking for "treasures."
We spent the whole day with our good friends, Lauren and Kurtis. They are students at Indiana Wesleyan University. They were up to the challenge of a LONG morning of walking. We parked our vehicle in a church parking lot, pulled out Jayden's stroller, and off we went!

Gerson really enjoyed the morning. In Bolivia, the only garage sales we had were those put on by the MK school twice a year --- mostly to allow us missionaries to get rid of stuff if we were leaving or to allow the new missionaries to buy nice items from families who were leaving. So, the magnitude of the Upland all-town garage sale was just amazing to Gerson. He was like a little kid at Christmas!

Truth be told, we didn't find that many treasures. We bought a few little things, but mostly just enjoyed the fellowship and exercise the day brought. I did run into my good friend Liz and her mother-in-law, as well as some other friends I hadn't seen in quite some time. All in all, it was a lovely outing and we greatly enjoyed the day!

8 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

OK - - - you have a title that says "One person's junk" and it is followed by a photo of little precious Jayden!!!!

Now Kamma Keetha takes exception to this!!!! Jayden isn't junk - - - to ANYBODY!!!

:-)

Gerson & Betsy said...

OOPS! I soooo didn't mean that! I need to change the title. I didn't think about how that looked! Thanks! I'll edit that right away!

Keetha Broyles said...

I hope you could "HEAR" me saying that so you knew I was kidding around with you - - -

Gerson & Betsy said...

Of COURSE, but I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea! :)

teamboyer said...

I've been out of town and just able to check your blog for the first time in almost 3 weeks! Love all the new pics of Jayden. He is doing so well and getting so big! I also love your new family picture. It is beautiful!

Gerson & Betsy said...

Hi Brooke! Thanks! Are you looking forward to your little one entering the world? I'm so excited for you. It looks like I won't be able to make it to your baby shower because we will be in Kentucky.We are traveling every weekend. But, once the baby is born, I want to come visit for sure! When are you due?

teamboyer said...

Due Nov. 6th. It feels like it's rapidly approaching. It would be so great to see you! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, It is Santa Cruz Day here and we don't have school until Monday so I have had some time to look at friends blogs. It is so amazing how wonderful Jayden is doing! He is so cute and looks just like Gerson. I am so happy for you but we miss you down here. You can pray for our little grand daughter, Leah Rose Burgin. Check out her blog at www.babyburgin.blogspot.com She is 5 months old now and at 2 months the pediatrician noticed something wasn't right with her eyes. In the past 3 months she has had a CAT Scan, an MRI, Genetic testing, Neuological testing and numerous eye exams. She is being treated by the best eye doctors at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami. All we know so far is that they have found nothing except severe developmental abnormalities in both of her eyes. They do not know what the condition is and they have not seen anything like it before. They are still waiting for the genetic testing results but that Dr. seemed to think that there is nothing like a syndrome or genetic thing that would cause this. They are thinking it was possibly an infection that Rachael had when she was pregnant that she never even knew was going on and that infection caused the eye abnormalities. They have been told that she could possibly be blind or that some correction could be done with lenses but they just will not know for a while as they wait for her eyes to develop as babies do in the first year of life. Rachael seems to think that Leah cannot see much of anything but we really do not know. It has been very difficult for them and us as well. We just want our little girl to be perfect and not have problems. But Stephen and Rachael know the Lord and are walking closly to him and have a wonderful church family as well as both sides of their family know the Lord as well. We are praying for a miracle that the Lord will Leah vision that can be corrected and that she won't be blind but we know she will be loved either way and we will all give her the best care possible. Anyway, check out her blog and you can read more about her condition if you go to the back or older posts. Thanks for reading this and for praying for her and for Stephen and Rachael and us.

Jeanie B.