Dear Friends,
The road sometimes feels so long. I guess that's where I'm at right now --- with what appears to be a long road stretched out before me. I know the end is out there, but it's so hard to see!
All my company is gone now. Today is the first day since Jayden's birth that I've been all by myself. Jamie left early this morning, and even Trent and Liz traveled this weekend. So, it's been weird to have no one around.
I went to the hospital around mid-morning. I took a book to read and stayed there until 4:00 PM. The nurse allowed me to hold Jayden for a whole hour today! He held my hand for that entire hour. He has quite the vice-like grip! I sang to him and prayed for him as I sat there with him in my arms. I also cried. It was so hard to see him hooked up to so many tubes and wires.
The doctor told me today that they will be doing a biopsy on his intestine (I think the large intestine) sometime this week. They are looking for the reason why he's having such a hard time digesting my milk. It will take 4-5 days to get the results of the biopsy, so we'll just have to wait in the meantime. He's currently not feeding on my milk; rather, he's back to the IV for his nutrients. Even though he's been on mostly IV nutrients, he contines to grow. He's up to 3 pounds 3 ounces!
On another good note, his chest X-ray this morning came back clearer than yesterday's X-ray. This means he's responding to the antibiotic. He was also the fiesty Jayden we are used to. He was pulling on his tubes, crying when he was mad, and not wanting to cooperate at all when the nurse was doing something to him!! It was good to see his fighting spirit was back.
Tomorrow he may get his tubes off for the air that he is on. Today he was bloated and retaining a lot of fluid, probably due to the humid, hot air that he is breathing through the tubes. His breathing was better today, and his loud cries assured us that his lungs are back on their way to being VERY healthy, so the doc is hopeful that tomorrow at some point he'll be breathing on his own again without all those bulky tubes.
The doctor also told me we could have a longer road ahead of us than what was expected due to these setbacks --- mostly this problem with his digestive system. I was not encouraged by that, but I also know that he's in a place where he is getting excellent care.
Pray for strength for me as I make decisions without Gerson beside me. Pray for Gerson as he is far away and wishes he could be here with us (also be praying for his thesis defense on the 8th). Pray for Jayden as continues to fight off infection. And pray for the doctors as they look for what is causing the digestive problem and decide on treatment. Thanks.
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I'm praying Betsy.
I'm so sorry you feel all alone.
I know you have the strength to get through this. It may not feel like it to you right now, but God will give you what you need.
Remember that you have MANY friends who are praying and standing in the gap for you, for Gerson & for precious little Jayden.
With love,
Jackie
Hi Betsy,
I, too, am sorry you are alone right now. Keep just taking one small step at at time. Don't look too far ahead. God will give you the strength and grace that you need moment by moment. Remember that you have lots of friends at SCCLC that love you and are praying. Thanks again for keeping us up to date. You are covered in prayer.
Jeanie
I'm thinking of you too.
I'm sorry you have to go through this long road.
Betsy know that even though you may be physically alone we are continually lifting you up in prayer. May the Lord Bless you in this day and may Jayden continue his road to recovery. Is there a phone number I can reach you? Let me know. Love and Prayers Besos y Abrazos. Kim Miguel, Kalei and Michelle
P.S Mom and Kevin send their love an prayers too we are always keeping up with you on the blog.
Hey Bets,
Sorry you are alone. Do you go back home every night or do you stay down there? It's okay to be emotional. Part of that is the hormones too, on top of all the uncertainty. I think I cried almost everyday for 3 weeks after Caleb was born and I wasn't facing anything near what you are facing. I am praying for you, Gerson, and Jayden. I pray that you'll take it easy and let your body heal without trying to do too much. Jayden is so beautiful. I can't wait to see him in person.
Love ya
Thinking about you... praying for you. Be encouraged that there are alot of people praying for you, for the little fighter, and for Gerson. <3 Jewel
Post a Comment