Thursday, November 27, 2008

Daddy and Son Bonding

We've had a great Thanksgiving. My sister is here visiting and my Aunt Betsy took us out to eat for lunch. Then we headed to the hospital to visit Jayden. Daddy held him for LONG time today since he is leaving for Bolivia tomorrow.
He kissed our son, prayed for him, and loved on him. We talked about how much Jayden will grow in the next two weeks while Gerson is gone. Both Jayden and I are going to miss him. I plan to spend my days at the hospital during those two weeks. If anyone wants to come visit, I'd love having visitors during the next two weeks. I'm afraid it's going to be awfully quiet around here with Gerson gone and my Aunt Betsy leaving on Sunday. So, I'll be all alone. Drop in if you're in the neighborhood!
We received fabulous news from the doctor today. Jayden is growing each day ---- and up until today he's just been being fed by IV. (As you can see, he's still small enough to fit in the crook of Gerson's arm.) Today they started Jayden on my milk and he tolerated it so well they upped his "dosage." He's getting 4 ml (not quite a tablespoon) every 3 hours. In addition, although he is still in the incubator most of the time (except when we're holding him), he is one step closer to regulating his own body temperature. Before today, the incubator was regulated to adjust the temperature inside to his body temperature. If his temperature dropped, the incubator would heat up to help his body temperature rise. However, now the incubator, although still warm inside, maintains a steady temperature so that Jayden has to maintain his body temperature on his own. This is great news!! As the nurse said, it's preparing him for a "big boy bed" -- a crib. We were excited by all of the good news and thanking the Lord for continuing to answer prayer. 

Please pray for Gerson tomorrow (Friday) as he travels to Bolivia. In the next few days he will be studying hard to prepare for his final defense. His defense date is December 8th. Pray for me as I'm very emotional now and I've already cried a lot at the thought of his leaving. However, we both know he needs to go and finish his studies. We keep reminding ourselves of how faithful God has been and trust He will continue to uphold us in the days to come. We also realize that the last time we were separated was a LOT longer than what we will face this time. However, we would appreciate your continued prayers. 

By the way, Gerson is taking our laptop with him so he can use it for his thesis presentation. Because of that, I may not have a way to put pictures up for the two weeks he's gone. However, I will still be able to write updates to keep you all posted on Jayden's progress and Gerson's trip. 

8 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

More good news in both these posts!!!!

I can't believe how much more ALERT his little eyes are in that top picture.

A Christmas home-coming would be wonderful.

Keri said...

Wonderful news about Jayden!!!! He's so sweet and precious!

You will continue to be in my prayers, Betsy!!!

Jewel said...

Jayden looks so good in the 1st picture!!

Emily Barlow said...

I agree - He is looking great! Betsy, send me an e-mail with visitation info. I'll be gone this weekend and next, but nothing in between. I love you, and I am praying!

Gerson & Betsy said...

Jewel, I haven't forgotten you! I need to send you an email!! Be on the lookout!

Gerson & Betsy said...

Thanks, Keetha and Keri. You two are sooooo faithful to keep up with us!

Gerson & Betsy said...

Hi Emily. I may try calling you at the beginning of the week to touch base, okay? Hope your travels this weekend go well.

Emily Barlow said...

Betsy - I finally have my own cell phone! Yeah! The funny thing is, Kimberly got new ones (she always gets incredible Black Friday deals), so she gave me her old phone. But, dad put me on his plan. Just call me "Missionary Mooch" :) So, my number is 317-383-1412. I'll be back on the road this weekend. Pray for strength, and I will def. be praying for you. Love you!