Sunday, September 7, 2008

Lost . . .

As many of you probably know, I´m not too good with directions. Come to find out, I´m not the only one! On Saturday at 1:30 PM, 3 taxis and our vehicle filled with soccer players left the university to go to a soccer game. Little did we know the adventure that we were about to start! We knew the soccer field was clear across town and that our game started at 3:00. We just didn't know how hard it would be to FIND the soccer field. According to the directions given to Gerson, we were to look for the sign that said, "Los Alamos." We FINALLY sighted it along the busy highway. We pulled over and then wondered what to do next. Gerson called the man who had given him the directions and asked him where we needed to go next. The man said to look for a sign that said, "El Leon Baron," which when said in Spanish sounds like "The Boy Lion."
All of us were looking for such a sign. The boys had all piled out of the vehicles and were all searching for a picture of a "boy lion." We all assumed it was a PICTURE of a lion. Finally, one of the boys shouted, "I see it! It's the next block down! It says, 'Leon Baron.'" (Isn't the sign obvious??? I mean, there's no LION in sight! It's all words, and the paint is all peeling off!!) We were thrilled; everyone piled back in the vehicle and off we went again. Oh, I forgot to say that ONE of the taxis was behind us and hadn't caught up with us. So, there were only 3 of the 4 vehicles on site at this point.

We turned at the "Leon Baron" sign onto this very dirt road. We all wondered where we would end up. We kept stopping along the way, asking people where the soccer field was located. They either shook their head and said they had no idea or told us that we needed to continue down this road to the VERY end; when we hit the highway, we were to turn left. We kept trucking, wondering if we'd ever arrive at another highway.


We finally arrived at the end. As you can see, we led the pack. The two taxis behind us were following close behind. All of us were wondering to what end we were headed. I have to say, the drivers of the taxis were getting quite annoyed. Can't say I blame them! It was quite the ordeal! After turning this corner, we had to go about 4 more blocks and we ran into the soccer field! Hallelujah!

When we FINALLY arrived, it was 2:45!! It had taken an hour and 15 minutes to find the place! The boys piled out, thrilled to have arrived before the game was to start. Meanwhile, Gerson recieved a phone call from the boys in the last taxi. They, too, were lost. They had turned a wrong way and had headed into a different neighborhood and didn't know where to find us. Gerson said we'd go look for them, and he and I took off to look for the "lost." We found them along the highway, strung along all looking for the "lion" sign! It was like deja vu!

When we had ALL arrived and the boys had changed, they gathered together for the pre-game prayer. Although I couldn't hear what was prayed, I'm sure they thanked the Lord that we had all arrived safely . . . FINALLY!

Was it worth it!? You bet! The boys won the game, 3-0. What's so exciting about this game is that it means that we aren't eliminated. We now are in the final 8 teams for this league, currently in 2nd place! We have 7 more games to play now. If we end up being in first or second place at the end of those 7 games, we ascend to the next division!!!! Needless to say, this was an exciting win, even though it was a pain to arrive for the game!


We took a different route from the soccer field to the highway. On our way out, guess what we saw!? It was a little shack that had the name of the soccer field and how far away it was with an arrow spray painted on it!!! We laughed so hard! Had we continued down the first main highway about 4 more blocks, MAYBE we would have seen this sign instead of having to look for the "lion" sign! Then we agreed that we probably would've missed THIS sign as well! But, hey, the important thing is that we FINALLY arrived at the soccer field . . . in time to PLAY the game!! It turned out to be a day full of laughter and victory!

6 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

At least SOMEONE won - - - our Colts certainly did NOT. This is the first time in YEARS we've lost our season opener - - - I don't like it, not one little bit!!!

Jewel said...

Good story... haha

Gerson & Betsy said...

I´m sorry, Keetha. I hear Green Bay is playing tonight. My new neighbor is a huge football fan, so I¨m sure I´ll be keeping up with the news better this season!

Gerson & Betsy said...

Yeah, Jewel. It was a good blogging story. We were happy to have a few good laughs along the way.

Keetha Broyles said...

Green Bay is looking good. They are (at the moment) beating their arch rivals, the Vikings.

Gerson & Betsy said...

I watched PART of the game, believe it or not!