Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Road Signs - What do they REALLY say?

So, all we adults have had to take a driver's test, showing we understand the rules of the road. Some of those rules inlude ROAD SIGNS and what they mean. As we've driven and ridden around the city of Santa Cruz, Gerson and I have seen some road signs that have made us (ME, at least) go, "Hmm. I wonder why that is there." Then again, there are some like the sign above that is perfectly clear: pedestrian crossing.

This one is obviously giving notice of a speed bump. What surprised me about this sign was the arrow. You see, there was NO ADVANCE notice of the speed bump. The sign appreared at the side of road right next to the speed bump. Hence the arrow pointing DOWN. Hopefully when a driver reaches this sign, he's going SLOWLY so he doesn't end up flying through the air when he HITS the speed bump at full speed!

Okay, this one is obvious as well. COW CROSSING. And actually, this one IS needed. This is posted on the 4 lane divided highway (2 lanes each way, although it often becomes a 6 lane highway!) at the end of our lane. You can't imagine how many times cows have caused a 4 lane road to go down to a 2 lane road. At times these cows have even made the cars come to a complete stop. Good to have the warning that the cows have the right-of-way!
This sign is posted inside a school zone. Now, it LOOKS fairly normal --- pedestrian crossing. Why does it bring a smile to my face whenever I see it? Because the students (notice the boy even has a BOOK in his hand!) are RUNNING!!!! This sign in posted on the same 4 lane highway mentioned above. Let me tell you, they NEED to run or they may not make it -- unless the cows are stopping the cars!


Now we're getting to the signs that are harder to understand and explain. These handicapped/wheelchair signs are placed throughout the city. I took a picture of this one because it is right outside our lane and there is actually a sidewalk beside it. You see, most of the signs are placed where there is NO sidewalk or wheelchair accessible ramps. In addition, I've NEVER ONCE seen a person in a wheelchair near any of these signs.
One person's explanation (I won't reveal WHO said this to protect the innocent, -- or not-so-innocent-- but if she reads my blog, she'll know I'm referring to her!): The city had a whole bunch of signs donated to it. They didn't want to waste the signs, so they non-strategically placed them randomly throughout the city. Who's to not accept a gift, even one that doesn't have any practical use?

This is a "No Honking" sign. Now, in the States there is no reason for such a sign, since honking is considered rude unless it's to let another driver know you or he is in danger. Here, however, honking is a way of life. Driver's honk at a whim and it's acceptable and expected. This sign is outside a school, which is the only reason I can fathom that they don't want people honking here. Of course, my husband-the-rebel always honks as we go by -- just because!

This is another random sign. It says "Police" on it. What I don't understand is that it is not posted outside a police staton and there were NO cops in sight. Oh, well. Guess they want to make sure there's a "police presence," whether it's through a sign or through actual cops. Not a bad plan.

5 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

LOL - - - cute post!!! Hey, where's Vickie's comment?

Gerson & Betsy said...

She commented on the post BEFORE the signs, I think.

Vickie said...

I liked your pictures of the signs. Keetha why are you looking for my comments???

Keetha Broyles said...

Hehehehehehe vickie - - - BECAUSE, in e-mails Betsy and I have been talking about the fact that Keri and I are her MAIN commenters so far, with an occasional Jewell thrown in. I encouraged her that I had seen a comment from YOU back toward the beginning.

So - - - when you made your LATEST comment, she PROUDLY told me that and I went looking.

(Said in an eerie ghostlike voice) Besides, I'm WATCHING you!!!!

Gerson & Betsy said...

You are all so funny! Vickie, it's true that I'm about as bad as Keetha now --- looking for NEW comments and seeing who will comment on my blog! I'm proud you've left your comments! :)