Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Recuperating

Hello, friends.  I wanted to write a quick update.  Jayden continues to recuperate from his surgeries. We have not been able to be with him much since his surgery due to a variety of reasons. We were planning on going down to Indy yesterday, but I came down with an infection and am in currently on antibiotics. We will hopefully head down tomorrow.

According to the nurses, Jayden is doing pretty well. However, he continues to lose weight, and in order to come home he needs to GAIN. Of course, this is somewhat expected as they stopped his feedings for the surgeries and are slowly getting him to full feedings again through his G-tube. As of last night, he weighed 7 lbs. 7 oz. and before surgery he was up to 7 lbs. 11 oz. I'm a little discouraged.

In addition, he has been very fussy. I don't know if he's fussy because he's in pain, hungry, or misses his primary nurses and Mommy and Daddy! One of his primary nurses has been sick, so he's had new nurses this week. It's always hard to know whether it's "normal" fussiness or not. His primary nurses know him well and can usually tell the difference. However, with neither of them being there for several days, I don't know what to make of his fussiness.

Please continue to pray for us. It seems every time we think we're getting closer to bringing him home, there is some disappointing setback. I don't want that this time, but I can't help but be a bit nervous.  

On a good note, Jayden is no longer on oxygen. He pulled the tube out of his mouth when he was on the ventilator and didn't have any trouble breathing on his own! That is a HUGE praise! The next day he pulled his IV out, which they had to put back in. I think these are ways he's telling us he's ready to get out of the hospital and come home! We agree!

Pray that I begin to feel better and have wisdom concerning my infection. It's hard to be home when I want to be with Jayden, but I don't want to compromise his health in any way. Please pray for the doctors as they continue to regulate his feedings and pray he can get to full feedings and begin to gain weight SOON. I would love to have my son home next week! 

When we are back in the hospital, we'll take more pictures so you can see how well he is looking. Thanks for continuing to pray!

2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh Betsy - - - I just THOUGHT of something!!! Greg has medical classes in Indy and we will be down there in the Keystone area staying in a hotel Sunday and Monday nights - - - I'm thinkin' this MIGHT be the perfect time to meet Jayden. Will you be down there any of those days? Let's TALK!!

Gerson & Betsy said...

We won't be there on Sunday, but I have a doctor's appointment on Monday so we have to be in Indy then. I'll give you a call! :)