
On Wednesday, August 20th, I turned 32!!! It was a school day, so after Gerson sang "Happy Birthday" to me, off I went down the cow path. Wedsnesdays are my hardest days at school. Because of our chapel schedule, I lose my afternoon free period. Therefore, from the time I start class at 10:00 until school is over at 3:00, I'm busy the whole time (between teaching my 4 classes and going to chapel) with only a 30 minute lunch break. Needless to say, I'm exhausted by the end of the day. Thankfully, that only happens one day a week. Unfortunately, my birthday fell upon THAT day of the week! When I got home from school, I was ready for a nap!

When I got home, my husband offered to take me out to a nice supper. I was too tired! He then reminded me that there was BIG soccer game -- Bolivia vs. Panama -- at the stadium that night. He wanted to go. I gave him my blessing and sent him to the game while I stayed home and rested! He invited me to go with him, but I figured I would be incredibly uncomfortable sitting on the concrete bleachers for over two hours! Even before I was pregnant it wasn't fun for me to sit on those things! I was happy to stay on my couch! I'm glad to report that BOLIVIA won!!!!! Gerson was thrilled.

On Thursday, Gerson's family came over to officially celebrate my birthday with us. Mom Tejeda made an amazing Bolivian meal -- milanesa de carne (a thin slice of beef, breaded and fried, but it's NOTHING like a tenderloin), several types fresh salad, mashed potatoes, and peanut soup! All my favorite Bolivian foods! It was scruptious! Then it was time to open presents. Cathy bought me baby booties for our baby! They are soooo cute! Mom and Dad Tejeda bought me a bathing kit for the baby --- a towel, washcloth, baby comb, etc. I was excited to get these presents since we haven't purchased anything for the baby yet!

Of course, we also had a cake. Gerson, wanting to encourage his "elderly" wife, bought two candles -- a three and a one!! He decided I was only 31!!! What a husband! We had a good laugh!I appreciated his desire to make me feel younger.
At the end came the dreaded moment. In Bolivia, as noted in a previous birthday blog, it is tradition for the birthday person to BITE into the cake! When the birthday person gets near it to bite, someone pushes (and not too gently) their head DOWN into the cake so the birthday person has a face full of frosting when it's all done! Thankfully, Cathy held the cake and I backed away from everyone (see, there is no one hiding behind me!), so I didn't get it as badly as usual. Cathy did her best to push the cake up into my face, but I reacted quickly and got away with minimal "damage!"
Friday night Gerson and I went out and celebrated. (I guess you could call it the birthday that never ends!) We got all spiffed up and went into town for supper and a movie. We got caught in horrible traffic, so we ended up arriving late to the theater. We decided to go the late showing and had a couple of hours to fill. We walked around and window shopped and found a wonderful baby shop. Most of the items were imported, so they were quite expensive. However, we enjoyed looking at all the trinkets that are available to new parents!
All in all, it was a wonderful birthday!!! I got to celebrate and celebrate and celebrate some more -- all with people who love me! I can't ask for anything better than that!
7 comments:
Happy Birthday!!!
And you're adorable!
Keri beat me this time!!! I was probably already in bed by the time you posted.
Happy birthday, late. Looks like you had lots of celebrating.
I'm still glad I don't have to do the birthday cake head bump here AND act happy about it!
I think because I am pregnant they had mercy on me. NORMALLY, Gerson or his sister Silvana would´ve been behind me to push my head down. However, this time I told them I DIDN´T want to do that, so it wasn´t as bad as normal.
Keri, you´re so nice. I certainly don´t feel adorable. I feel FAT. But, thanks for the encouraging words!
Keri will tell you that ALL pregnant mamas feel FAT. But never fear, to the REST of us you look beautiful with that new mama glow!!!
Happy Birthday to you Betsy. I enjoyed reading how you celebrated your birthday. Of course the kids sang to me all day as well as the teachers, they brought me lots of sweets. I went to the girl's volleyball game and came home and my husband had made supper! I am thankful to celebrate another wonderful year!!! God is good. You do look so cute and happy!!! Sorry you had a rough day at school on your birthday. My crazy days are Tuesday and Thursday!
Vickie, I´m glad we both had wonderful birthdays! God IS sooo good! It´s wonderful to get older with the people you love! :)
Post a Comment