
Last Saturday night, Gerson and I had the opportunity to go to an evangelistic campaign in the Santa Cruz stadium. The pastor, Rev. Cash Luna, is from Guatemala and is well-known in Latin America. We've seen his "Noches de Gloria" (Nights of Glory) on TV, but we'd never been to hear him preach in person. We were excited to hear he was coming to Bolivia!

People were anxious to attend this campaign. In addition to being an amazing evangelist, Pastor Luna also the gift the healing. Many people slept outside the stadium on Friday night with their ill loved ones, waiting to get into the stadium on Saturday. We didn't have to stand in line because we didn't arrive until 5:30 or so and the campaign didn't start until 7:00. By then, the best seating was taken. We got to sit right behind the stage, though, so we got to see everything up close and personal, even if it was the "backside!"

As you can see, the stadium filled. By the time the service started, there were few seats still available. The entrance was completely free, making it available to even the poorest resisdents of Santa Cruz.

Everywhere Pastor Luna goes, he connects with local churches for the follow-up after his campaigns. His campaigns are super organized. In addition to having the local churches do the follow-up with the new Christians, they also rent the locale, provide all the ushers and workers, including doctors who verify the healings. Before anyone testifies to the healing they have recieved, doctors check them. In cases where they may be doubt about a pre-existing condition, the doctors actually get the person's name and facts and look up their medical history before the testimony is aired publicly on television. In the picture above, you can see the doctors waiting for the service to begin.

Before Pastor Luna ever approached the stage, there was an amazing time of praise and worship. The man on the screen is one of the praise and worship leaders. I was wondering what this pastor would be like. Would the campaign be "showy" or would it all be about GOD? My question was soon answered as I felt the presence of the Lord and was able to really worship through song that night. As we were worshipping, Pastor Luna went up on stage --- FROM THE BACK (I only know that because we were sitting BEHIND the stage). There was no applause for him. There wasn't even acknowledgement that he had arrived "on stage."
During his preaching, Pastor Luna said many things that verified to me that this is truly a man of God. One thing he said was, "Don't seek your miracle! Seek the ONE who does the miracle!" He also preached on the Scripture about Peter and John and the lame man -- how they had nothing to give Him except Jesus. He said he had nothing more than what Peter and John had had -- He wanted to share Jesus with us. Another interesting thing was that he said many people ask him why EVERYONE isn't healed. He explained that GOD was the one doing the healing, and it's HIS choice who He heals. He also said that he'd NEVER say that someone wasn't healed due to a lack of faith.
He also gave his testimony about how the campaigns began. I believe he was in Peru (if I remember right) preaching to a much smaller crowd than what we were. As he was preaching, he looked down and saw a pair of cruches on the ground. He looked up and asked who they belonged to. Someone answered the that they belonged to a man, but as the pastor had preached, the man had dropped his cruches and left the place without them, walking without help! Pastor Luna was surprised and asked the people to find the man so he could testify to his healing. They brought the man in and he testified that God had touched him and healed him during the sermon!
That was the first time Pastor Luna understood that God wanted to use him in this way. He had never asked for such a gift. He had never desired such a gift. Personally, I believe that is why God chose this man. I don't know when I've ever witnessed such humility in a man of his reputation. He never took credit for anything, but was the first to give glory to God.
We witnessed amazing miracles that night, both in adults and children. Many came with crutches, braces, wheelchairs. What a blessing it was to see them throw them down and run! Even more beautiful was the spiritual healing that took place as multitudes gave their lives to Christ after witnessing His power and love. How exciting that local churches are following up with this baby Christians, and that many people around Santa Cruz are witnessing that they have felt the touch of the Great Physician -- in more ways than one. Please pray for the local churches as they continue the follow-up of this great harvest.
God is truly BIG.
6 comments:
Sounds really cool. Last year as I taught the Book of Acts in Bible class we talked a lot about why we don't see the kind of miracles today as we saw in Acts or do we and we are just blinded to His working.
Yeah. It was really interesting to see it firsthand. IT's the first time I have seen healings in person. All I can say is WOW. The power of God is real and He is still working today!
Vickie beat me twice - - - oh yah, I NOTICED!!!
You've slipped, Keetha. What can we say?
I had trouble getting my posts AND getting around to all my blogs from the library !!!!!
I'm in a hotel in Mad Town now - - - as soon as I can get Greggie to wake up, we'll be out WALKING around and I'll be snapping pictures for posts right and left!!!!
I'm sure it was hard to keep up with all your blogging with just your library time slots! Glad you're home!
Post a Comment